This document specifies test methods for the determination of the plastics compatibility of packaging/intermediate bulk containers (IBC) made from polyethylene, fluorinated polyethylene and coextruded plastics.
It covers the determination of adequate plastics compatibility against the processes of deterioration:
- softening due to absorption (swelling);
- stress cracking; and
- combinations thereof.
It applies to:
- drums and containers made from plastics according to paragraph 220.127.116.11 of the UN recommendations 1);
- composite packaging (plastics) with inner receptacle made from plastics according to paragraph 18.104.22.168 of the UN recommendations;
- rigid plastics IBCs (types 31H1 and 31H2) according to 22.214.171.124 of the UN recommendations; and
- composite IBCs with rigid plastics inner receptacles (type 31HZ1) according to 126.96.36.199 of the UN recommendations;
whose design is approved by a competent authority for the transport of liquid dangerous goods.
This proof of adequate plastics compatibility is only applicable to the above packaging and IBC types of the following materials and material specifications:
- packaging and IBCs made from polyethylene (PE);
- packaging and IBCs made from polyethylene (PE), whose internal surfaces are fluorinated; and
- packaging and IBCs which are coextrusion blow moulded and have walls with the following multilayer structure (from inside to outside):
- polyamide (PA)//bonding agents//polyethylene (PE); or
- ethyl vinyl alcohol (EVOH)//bonding agents//polyethylene (PE).
1) UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods – Model Regulations
État actuel: Projet
Comité technique: ISO/TC 122/SC 3 Exigences d'aptitude à l'emploi et méthodes d'essais des procédés d'emballages, des emballages et des charges unitaires (requises par l'ISO/TC 122)