This document specifies design, type testing, marking, manufacturing tests and examinations requirements for ball valves used as:
- closures of refillable transportable gas cylinders, pressure drums and tubes;
- main valves for cylinder bundles;
- valves for cargo transport units [e.g. trailers, battery vehicles, multi-element gas containers (MEGCs)];
which convey compressed gases, liquefied gases and dissolved gases.
NOTE 1 In this document, the term “valve” is used with the meaning of “ball valve”.
This document does not apply to ball valves for:
- oxidizing gases as defined in ISO 10156;
- toxic gases (i.e. gases listed in ISO 10298 having an LC50 value ≤ 5 000 ppm
- acetylene for single gas cylinders, pressure drums and tubes.
NOTE 2 The reason for the exclusion of oxidizing gases is that the use of ball valves as closures of high-pressure cylinders for oxidizing gases is known to lead to specific ignition hazards that cannot reasonably be mitigated through the ball valve design or type testing. Safety hazards concern both the ball valve itself and any downstream equipment.
NOTE 3 The reason for the exclusion of acetylene for single gas cylinders, pressure drums and tubes is that the risk of an acetylene decomposition cannot reasonably be mitigated through the ball valve design or type testing.
This document does not apply to ball valves for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), cryogenic equipment, portable fire extinguishers and cylinders for breathing apparatus.
NOTE 4 Requirements for valves for cryogenic vessels are specified in ISO 21011.
NOTE 5 Certain specific requirements for quick-release valves for fixed fire-fighting systems in addition to those that are given in this document are specified in ISO 16003.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2021-10
Edition: 1Number of pages: 24
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 58/SC 2 Cylinder fittings
Buy this standard
|std 1 118||PDF + ePub|
|std 2 118||Paper|